December 10, 2015 - a press briefing and roundtable discussion on the results of the first wave of regional media monitoring of internally displaced persons (IDPs) coverage will be held at the Information Agency Ukrainian News (Kyiv, str. Esplanadna 20). The monitoring sample included 207 regional television stations, newspapers and online media. The monitoring was conducted in the pre-election period in October 2015, in the framework of the project Regional Voices: Strengthening conflict sensitive coverage in Ukraine's regional media, funded by the European Union.
9:30 – 10:00 – Registration 10:00 – 10:30 – Monitoring results presentation
- Helga Pender, EU Sector Manager Crisis Response
- David Quin, Deputy Director of Development, Thomson Foundation
- Rasto Kuzel, international media monitoring expert, Head of MEMO98 (Slovakia)
- Lesya Yaroshenko, PhD, Coordinator of regional media monitoring on IDPs coverage, Association Spilnyi Prostir
- Oleksandr Chekmyshev, Doctor of Science in Social Communications, Head of the Equal Access Committee, chief of the monitoring projects at the Association Spilnyi Prostir.
Experts will highlight:
- main quantitative and qualitative research indicators (volume of IDPs topic in news content, coverage tone)
- the range of IDPs topics and their pick-up rate and coverage by regional media
- how balanced, structured, multi-sourced and objective was the information on IDPs published by local journalists
- The Project’s prospects.
10:30 – 12:00 – Discussion
Media analysts, public officials, IDPs assisting CSOs, human rights organizations and international humanitarian agencies are invited to participate in a moderated discussion on maximising the impact of enhanced IDPs coverage.
Contact person for media accreditation: Lesya Yaroshenko, 066 737 83 18, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org